Tuesday, May 11, 2004

So here we go with round two...

I have a bad habbit of throwing in the towel fairly early on things like this - you know, it seems like a good idea and then over the course of a week or two I gradually forget about it altogether. I definately don't proclaim to be a writer, but at the same time I do enjoy waisting time; so perhaps if I keep telling myself that THIS is a waiste of time, it will keep me motivated to write (I know that makes about as much sense as a an underwater drinking fountain, but it seems quite clear in my 'ol noggin, which I guess is the important thing).

On a much lighter - and definately less philosophical - note, I'm getting ready to graduate with a Master's degree in Public Administration, in fact graduation is set for this coming Saturday (it's Tuesday today). I'm sure that there are plenty of bennifits of obtaining such a degree, but to be honest I could really care less at this point. The only thing that half way facinates me about be a "Master" is the idea of printing my next batch of checks with name: "Lee M. Vander Boegh, MPA"

Speaking of Masters degrees, how did they come to get that name? You may have noticed by my quotations at the end of my last paragraph that I find the word itself very misleading. For instance, I will be a master of public administration. Does that mean that I have 'Mastered' administrating public agencies, making me a know-it-all? I've never set foot in a government agency (sans a brief internship), so what the heck do I know about administering them? Definately not enough to say I've 'Mastered' it, that's for darn sure. Also, "Master" implies "Ultimate," which is yet another farce because those that have Ph.D.s are higher up the educational scale than us lowly masters.

So let's highlight this heirarchy: A doctor (Ph.D.) is better than a Master, a Master is better than a Bachelor, a Bachelor is better than a High School Diploma, a High School Diploma is better than a G.E.D., and a G.E.D. is better than nothing. So ideally that makes me the master of those lowly single men (Bachelors) and their high school subordinates, but I still salute a doctor. This makes absolutely no sense.

Why don't they just do away with the names and give us categories of education? It could be like bra sizes:
- Cup Size - Education Equivolent
- A - GED
- B - High School Diploma
- C - Bachelor's Degree
- D - Master's Degree
- DD - Ph.D.
This would make for much more enjoyable discussions about education: "Hey Bob, get a load of that C cupper, he thinks just cuz he has a degree he can just walk on in here and tell you and me what to do!?" Of course these categories are also very related to their mamorial equivolents as well:
- Cup Size/Degree - Notes
- A/GED - Doesn't flash what they don't have.
- B/Diploma - "More than a handful of school is too much"
- C/Bachelor - Like cleaveage, if you got it, flaunt it
- D/Masters - Beats a C, but gets in the way of running
- DD/ Ph.D. - Probably just fake anyways.

Until next time, keep rocking and rolling.

3 Comments:

At 11:31 PM, Blogger patri said...

I love how you can equate everything back to breasts. It is one of your more endearing qualities. (.Y.)

patri

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Angela said...

Ah, Lee...More comic gold. Nick is right. =)

Ang-r

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually flaunt my cleaveage, and I have a BS. Good analysis. Miss you and love your writing.
xoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home