Monday, May 24, 2004

I went to yet another wedding over the weekend. The marriage of Geoff Cook to Heather Michaud (Heather is Carolyn's sister). Luckily I didn't have to be part of the wedding party itself, but I did help out by supplying the sound system for the reception. I suppose that the benefits of being a temporarily retired semi-pro musician is that you have plenty of things that make lots of noise. But that's not what I want to ramble about.

After the wedding and the reception I was lured back to the Bride's parent's house by the promise of free food. Unfortunately the entrees were simply four-hour leftovers from the reception, but you know me and free food, I enjoyed every bite. While I was there I got to meet a bunch of the Bride's extended family, and as it turns out most of her father's family are extremely fundamentalist Christian. The mother's side is normal. I watched one of the inept, social skilless religious fanatics corner one of the 'cool kids' for an hour and a half with a discussion about video games (particularly the challenges of the video game version of the board game "Risk"). I could see that the normal dude wanted out, and I thought about helping him out of the conversation multiple times, but then my old lifeguard instincts kicked in and said: "Don't go in unless the scene is safe - otherwise instead of helping the kid you'll just become the second victim." I just knew that if I tried to get him out, I'd just get sucked into the conversation in the process. It's quite the emotional conundrum to be in: seeing someone in need of help, but rational enough to know that you just have to let him go... It's kind of like a war story, I hope after a couple of years I won't be having flashbacks.

Rock on

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home