Tuesday, June 15, 2004

The Atkins Diet.

I know what you're already thinking, "Ranting about the Atkins Diet has been done to death." Sure. It has. But I'm gonna do it anyway!

When you think about it, Dr. Atkins had a pretty good theory for weight loss dieting. All food (even Calamari) is broken down into three types of substances: fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. Those are the building blocks of everything that enters our mouths regardless of how it looks, feels, or tastes. So by completely eliminating one of the three, you'll make a huge dent in the quest for weightlessness.

But that's really besides the point.

"Atkins friendly" food items are everywhere. I can't even go to the auto parts store without being bombarded by a display for "Carbo-Carb: the only low carb carburetor cleaner." Honestly, I haven't seen the food industry plunge into a fad like this since the introduction of deep fryers.

BUT, for every advertisement of low-carb meals that I see, there are 20 people who find nothing better to do than rant about the stupidity of both the diet and those that are on it (ironically, most of these folks could stand to lose a good 50 pounds each). In fact, I have yet to meet a single person who proudly stands up and proclaims, "YES, I am on my way to a low carb nirvana." It's almost as if being on this diet is socially similar to a harboring a raging STD, something nobody in their right mind would ever admit.

So here I am. On one hand I see millions of dollars worth of Atkins merchandise and services, but on the other an entire population that publicly despises it - which I assume means they don't partake. I'm beginning to become a bit of an "Atkins Agnostic." People talk about it, but I have yet to see any evidence. I see it on the billboards, but haven't witnessed anything with my own eyes. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist - just that I'm a tad bit skeptical.

Well, that's enough of that - it's time to re-pave my drive way and Home Depot is running a special on low-carb concrete.

Rock on ~

1 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Anonymous kate said...

he Glycemic Index (GI) is a measure of the amount and the rate of increase in blood sugar after eating a carbohydrate. This is also known as the glycemic load. The higher the GI, the larger the rise in blood sugar and the release of insulin. This is important because the more insulin in your system, the more fat you retain.

A calorie ratio of 40 percent carbohydrates, 30 percent proteins, and 30 percent fat minimizes your glycemic load (insulin) and thus the fat you retain. This balance also provides the three key macro nutrients needed to keep a body in hormonal balance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home